- Cook: 15 min
- Easy to Make
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 1/2 cup gluten-free plain flour
- 1/2 cup tonic water
- 1 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 1 cup gluten-free corn flakes, roughly crushed
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cooking oil (for brushing or spraying)
- Sweet chili sauce (for serving)
- Wash the cauliflower thoroughly and pat it dry with a clean kitchen towel.
- Cut the cauliflower into bite-sized florets, ensuring they are of uniform size.
- In a bowl, prepare the dipping batter by mixing 1/2 cup of gluten-free plain flour with 1/2 cup of tonic water. Whisk the mixture thoroughly until well combined. Allow the batter to sit for a few minutes, allowing it to thicken.
- Prepare the crumbing mixture by combining 1 cup of gluten-free breadcrumbs, 1 cup of roughly crushed gluten-free corn flakes (for added crunch), 2 tbsp of Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix the ingredients together until evenly blended.
- Dip each cauliflower floret into the batter, ensuring it is well-coated. Allow any excess batter to drip off, then toss the coated cauliflower into the crumb mixture. Ensure each piece is evenly coated with the crumb mixture.
- Lightly brush the coated cauliflower florets with oil or use a cooking oil spray to promote crispiness.
- Preheat your air fryer to around 140°C (284°F) or a lower setting, depending on your specific air fryer model.
- Place the coated cauliflower florets in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Air fry them for approximately 15 minutes, checking and shaking the basket occasionally to ensure even cooking. The cauliflower should be golden and crunchy on the outside while remaining soft in the middle.
- Once the cauliflower is cooked to your desired level of crispiness, remove it from the air fryer.
- Serve the gluten-free popcorn cauliflower with a side of delicious Yarra Valley Hilltop Premium Sweet Chilli sauce.
- Enjoy your gluten-free popcorn cauliflower as a flavourful and crispy appetizer or snack!
Note: If you prefer, you can use ordinary flour and breadcrumbs in this recipe if you do not require it to be gluten-free. Adjust quantities as needed.
Created in Collaboration with Belinda Burns